For more detail on Sig Sauer weapons, see the page on the Germany section of this site.
This company has history going back to 1860, when a Swiss company called Schweizerische Waggon Fabrik won a contract to manufacture weapons for the Swiss army, and changed its name to SIG in 1864. Between 1970 and 1975 SIG acquired a number of other Swiss and German arms companies, and by the mid-90s the parent company, SIG had a small arms division based in Switzerland, as well as two subsidiaries owned by SIG based in Germany (called SIG Sauer GmbH) and the USA (called SIGARMS Inc).
The subdivision and the two subsidiaries were sold to L&O Holding. The Swiss branch - which had been a division of SIG - became a company in its own right. It was officially called SAN Swiss Arms AG, but was known as Swiss Arms. In 2019 it changed its name to SIG Sauer AG to match the German and US branches.
Although the original SIG company still exists, it no longer manufacturers weapons.
The United State’s 2008 report to the UN’s Register of Conventional Arms lists 326 Sig Sauer P226 pistols which were originally from Switzerland before being shipped to Indonesia. These weapons are used by the three 'special forces' units, Kopassus, Kopaska and Kopasgat. All three special forces units have been deployed to West Papua since invasion.